Recently I taught myself how to make socks and it's turned into a minor obession. They are small, easy to tote around and something I can USE!
My husband loves anything with flames, so I started searching for a pattern for some socks for him and was thrilled to find Melanie's pattern on her blog.
So, off I trotted to the LYS to get some appropriate yarn (Dale of Norway Baby Ull as recommened in the pattern). I have not yet tried making socks on DPN, so I made these on circulars. However, this was also my first foray into "fair isle" type color changes. (sigh) In theory it all sounded so easy. I ripped out the cuff more times than I care to think about, but in the end it all turned out well. (And I am so grateful to everyone on the Socknitters Yahoo list, Melanie (the pattern writer), the ladies at The Lambshoppe, the Denver Knitting Guild and random online strangers for answering my million questions!) The pattern called for the flames on the foot as well, but I since I was knitting these with size 3, they were already a bit too bulky, so I went with stripes on the foot instead.
My solution to the flame portion being too tight due to the color changes was to switch up to ONE 16" size 5 circulars. This eliminated the ladders and stretched out the cuff's stranding to a equal tension. Ideally, I would have loved to have 12" circular, but I just cut off the ends of the size 5's to make it a bit shorter. Sometimes there have to be sacrifices.
(I also made a short row heel instead of the gusset one in the pattern because I'm a knitting retard and couldn't figure out how to translate the instructions for DPN to 2 circs and was so frustrated with the whole ripping the sock out 6 times adventure it had been thus far)
I have cast on for the second sock and have most of the black at the cuff completed and hope that the next sock goes as quickly as the first one, once I got my 'sock groove' on.